Monday, March 10, 2014

Is it the size that inspires?

Today I have been seeing a lot of posts on Facebook about the heavy girl at the gym or the heavy girl at the race.  You know the one who by any and all means APPEARS to have no business being there, but goes out and does her thing anyway.  Are they an inspiration or any more inspirational than anyone else going out doing their thing at a race or gym?

When I see someone who is bigger out there doing their thing, I do get inspired by them.  Just like I get inspired by EVERY person at the gym or race, despite their size, age or assumed fitness level.  But mostly… I am proud of that heavy girl (or guy for that matter) at the gym or a race. I am proud that the person had the courage to walk through the door at the gym. I am proud that the person had the courage to sign up for a race. I am proud that the person had the courage to train for a race.  I am proud that the person is both literally and figuratively making efforts to change her life. 

Taking those steps at any age or size is not easy and I applaud ANYONE that makes the effort to do it.  But when I see someone bigger at the gym or at a race, it hits home a little harder. I understand. I have lived it. I have been there. So honestly I can’t help but be inspired, but not because they are working out or running a race.  I am inspired by their bravery, by their courage, by their determination.  I am inspired because they might lack confidence in themselves, because they might be at the gym comparing themselves to others, because they might think that people are judging them, because they might think it’s hard and they might not see the change in their body yet and don’t know if it will ever come. And yet… THEY ARE STILL DOING IT ANYWAY!

So to ANYONE, big, small, young, old, male or female, out there changing your life, challenging yourself and facing your fears, YOU ARE AN INSPIRATION!

Keep inspiring,

Emily 

1 comment:

  1. I have encountered this same thing. I've been mocked but hands down I've been encouraged much more by people. I don't feel what I'm doing is always inspiring. I was overweight because of ME, I chose to let myself go. The inspiring ones to me are people who have or are fighting sickness or disease, abuse, difficulties not of their own affliction. On the other hand, my journey inspires because there are many who won't or aren't ready to change their lives. It is those that I hope to reach and show them YES, they can! But I agree, it is often people who have farther to go who draw the best recognition. But people of all sizes and chapters in their journey need encouragement. Sometimes you need someone else to believe in you to help you on your journey. Without support, a lot of people lack the determination to continue until they are fueled by their desire, results and commitment. Not everyone, mind you, but some. I hope that makes sense. Love your post and your support of each and every one.♥

    ReplyDelete